Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Focused Conversation

My husband is very succinct and to the point.  So when I repeat a story to him, his eyes usually glaze over after about 90 seconds because it takes me a while to get to the main point.  I'm really working on improving this conversation style, and after hearing a caller this morning on a radio show, I understand how my rambles sometimes sound to him.


"....hey Steve, it's Margie, I've called before, how are you guys?"
"We're good Marg, how are you doing?"
"Great, great! I'm going down the shore next week, not really the shore, nearby, actually past Atlantic City a little bit, I'm spending a week with my friend.  I go every year, over Passover, I'm not Jewish, she is, but we spend time together over her holiday, and I do half the cooking, there's a lot of eating, and I spend the time with her and her husband, I go alone, cuz I'm alone, that's a different story, and anyway, so her husband bought a Tesla, the electric  car you were talking about, and it doesn't even have the spare tire, cuz there's no trunk, I mean it's in the front, cuz there's no motor, and you have to pay separately for the tires! At least that's what I think he said, that it's a base price, and the tires are $400, and then what do you do without a spare, so he's thinking of giving it back or something, cuz he didn't even realize it didn't come with spare, or even a place to store it! So I thought you or your listeners might find that interesting".

Summary: Don't buy a Tesla, It doesn't come with a spare tire.


Of course to fully appreciate this conversation, say it without commas or periods, and use a Bronx accent.

I thought it was funny.

1 comment:

sporadicintelligence said...

I have the same problem...takes me way too long to tell a story. I get it from my father, and it's a family joke, except it stopped being funny when I realized I do the same thing.

Oh well, I think my asides are VERY important to the overall story.